Sunday, September 16, 2007

Our New(ish) Home

Ok, so it's been awhile. But today we are hopefully going to be posting several blogs we've been working on in our spare time. Yep, we've been busy little Peace Corps volunteers facilitating community meeting for latrine projects, educating about hygiene and nutrition, planting gardens and herding cats (Oh, I mean weavers and beekeepers).

Here's a look at our new home sweet home. But first a little description:
* It has 3 rooms - kitchen/living room/office, our bedroom, and your bedroom/shower room/bikeroom/general storage.
*It has dirt floors - something I never realized the advantage of until now - you can spill water and the floor and it just soaks right in!
*we live in a caserio of 130 families about 3 kilometers up the road from our old caserio.
*we pay a whopping s/. 50 per month (about $17US)
*we have a nicer latrine than before but .... it's still a latrine
*we have 4 hours of electricity per night
*most special of all is that we don't have to share it with anyone else. That is very very nice.


Here are some pictures:


The front of the house - our little casita is a duplex, really.

Our kitchen: the trash cans are where we store our water.

Our living room/office: as you can see we really need more postcards for the walls (hint hint). The splotches on the floor are from water - to keep it hard you are required to throw water on it daily. Quite fun, really.


Our bedroom: yep, it basically just fits the bed.


The view from our front yard, looking north up the old Panamerican. The skies here often can be really dramatic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cyndi, Hey remember me....it's christine......i moved up to sacramento to have my baby girl, Chandel....who is now 18 years old. I haven't seen you forever!! remember coming to save me at venice beach???? I really hope this is the right person....i've been trying to find you for A LONG TIME!!!! Please let me know if I have the right person please. Christine 9167995112

7:26 PM  
Blogger Cynthia & Dan said...

Hi Christine,
How are you? I think the last time I saw you I was 18 or 19 - approx. 20 years ago!!! I don`t remember rescueing you in Venice beach, but I do remember that you used to spell your name Christeen, right? Wow, your daughter must be in college by now. I`m glad to hear you are doing well.

best,
cynthia

5:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh man am I glad I found you!!!! I think of you often, and wonder what the hell happened to you!!! I've even paid to try to find you but they sucked.... anyways my daughter is in college studying to be a psychiatrist!!!!yikes!! I also have a son, Bryce, who is 2 1/2 years old. Is there a phone number I can call you at?? I think what your doing is cool. Please email me at christeen242@yahoo.com if you would.
Christine

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home